Monday, April 20, 2009

Missed Storytime This Evening

First of all, sorry to all of you for not posting anything for the past few weeks. My non-SF life has been hectic and kind of weird lately. There have been lots of things I've wanted to post, but I just haven't had the time or I've been completely exhausted. Anyhow, over the next few days I hope to catch up.



And speaking of missing things, I'm a little frustrated that I had to miss out on a geeky happening this evening. Robert J. Sawyer was doing a reading and signing for his new novel "Wake" over at White Dwarf Books. Sawyer's a nice guy, has some interesting thoughts, and gets into his read enough to be pretty entertaining.



And what could have pulled me away from an evening with fellow fans listening to one of Canada's top authors and finishing the night getting an autographed copy of the book? An hour at the personal trainer. Yes. The anti-geek experience. I've been going once a week for the past couple of months as a means of holding the line against the threatened expansion of the waistline and as a long-term investment in my health. Not looking to pump up to Schwarzennegarian dimensions or anything, just mainain things in a capable state. So far, I think it's working. Now, normally, faced with a dilemma between indulging my SF pursuits and going to the trainer, the nerdlife would win hands-down. Tonight was a different story though - my wife also sees the trainer (has been much longer than I have) and with us being a one-car family, it's difficult for her to get there if I'm galvanting around on the other side of town. Score one for the trainer. If only I could get a clone for days like this.



Luckily, I was in the neighbourhood on the weekend and my friends at the store were kind enough to set aside a copy to be signed for me. Yet another reason why I make my SF purchases there instead of Chapters - friendly, personal, above-and-beyond-the-call service, and more importantly, a real feeling of community. Thanks, White Dwarf!

No comments: