Tuesday, June 04, 2013

Coming Soon: Mini Reviews

It occurred to me a couple of months ago, when I was writing my meditation on the final Wheel of Time book that was almost as long as Jordan and Sanderson's entire series, that it had been a hell of a long while since the last time I wrote a book review. Plenty of reasons for this, some better than others, but a lot of time went by none-the-less, and a lot of finished books piled up with little more acknowledgement than a 140-character Twitter opinion.

Time for that to change.

Starting tomorrow, I'll be posting a regular series of mini book reviews. Mini, because writing a stupidly-long essay like the WOT piece takes a lot of time to put together - time that I could allocate to writing posts about other stuff, like the genius of The Starlost (okay, maybe I wouldn't go that far - okay, let's face it, nobody would go that far), and nearly as much time for you to read through - time that you could be using to recatalogue your collection of Gilligan's Planet fan-fic or something. Each post will include reviews of 2-4 books, with each book getting a couple of paragraphs - just enough to give you a sense of the plot and what I thought of the story overall.

Rather than go through everything I haven't reviewed for the past year-and-a-half or so, I've got a short stack on-hand from just the last couple of months. Should be good for a few posts. And, of course, as I finish other books, they'll be added to the review pile and eventually discussed.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's premier post, covering Guy Gavriel Kay's River of Stars, Kit Reed's Son of Destruction, and Masked Mosaic: Canadian Super Stories - edited by Claude Lalumiere and Camille Alexa.

No comments: