Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Reaper Goes 2001

First of all, folks, sorry there weren’t any posts last week. I was sick as a dog for more than a week and I’m only now up to snuff to unleash my inanities upon the largely indifferent web. Anyway…

Did anyone catch the opening of tonight’s episode of “Reaper” with the coworker named “Frank Poole”?

I’m trying to figure out if it’s a deliberate reference to “2001: A Space Odyssey” or just a coincidental choice of names by the writers. Not that I think this guy’s destined to become a regular character with a speaking role, or that he gets flicked out into deep space or anything, I’m just wondering if there’s a pattern of classic sci-fi references in this show that I’ve just been embarrassingly oblivious to.

The last time I remember name-dropping like that it was in “Babylon 5” where monikers like Asimov, Clarke and Bester were popping up every other episode. But that was a very genre-focused show, where “Reaper” is clearly gearing itself towards a more main-stream audience.

I guess I shouldn’t be entirely surprised at SF referencing in a show that Kevin Smith’s involved with. Although this simple use of a name is far more of a light touch than the scene dissections and character comparisons in the View Askew movies.

Has anyone else out there caught any other SF allusions in this surprisingly entertaining little show? If so, send me a note. Let me know which subtle or not-so-subtle salute to SF you’ve caught on “Reaper” and we’ll see if this is a regular feature or a one-off.

No comments: