Sunday, July 12, 2009

Life Imitates Londo

I sometimes forget that because my wife is from Hong Kong, she wasn't raised with the same children's songs and nursery rhymes that I was. The other day she came home from an agency that she volunteers with where she works with children, and asked me if I'd learned "the hokey pokey" growing up. I shrugged and said "Yeah, pretty much everyone here did. It was just one of those songs from playschool and kindergarten." She said she'd never heard of it before and thought it was a weird song, especially since it wasn't really about anything.

That made me flash back to the episode of Babylon 5 when Centauri Ambassador Londo Mollari was trying to figure out the song and was becoming increasingly frustrated with its meaninglessness. For the rest of the day I felt the need to occasionally flavour conversations, regardless of subject, with lines from The Hokey Pokey delivered in my best Londo accent.

Now, if only I could get that crest going with my hair...

No comments: