Tuesday, June 02, 2009

A New Companion for the New Doctor

A couple of days ago, the ever-vigilant Steve sent me this link to the BBC site reporting that Karen Gillan will be playing the new Companion of the new (11th) Doctor Who.

You may recognize Gillan as a soothsayer in the series 4 episode "The Fires of Pompeii".

Now, I realize that with the selection of a young actor (Matt Smith) to play The Doctor in his next incarnation, it makes sense to have a young co-star. But at the same time, I can't help but worry BBC is setting up a Dawson's TARDIS scenario here. I know the studio is trying to maintain and add to the younger audience for the show, but in doing so it runs the risk of alienating older viewers.

At any rate, they've made good calls on the casting and provided solid stories (for the most part) for the previous four series, so I'm trying to stay optimistic.

No comments: