Thursday, December 12, 2019

Invaders From Planet 3 - Ep 32 - War of the Worlds - Reports from the Frontlines



I'm doing something a bit different in this episode: instead of the usual interviews with authors, editors, performers, artists, fans and others, I'm posting a short radio play I've put together with some friends.

Why?

As some of you know, I'm currently taking a Bachelor of Education degree, and one of my course assignments is to write something and publish it. Last summer, a friend and I were kicking around the possibility of doing a radio play. We talked about doing a take on HG Wells' The War of the Worlds, except from the Martian perspective. And, since we're both former newspeople, we talked about presenting it as a nightly newscast on Mars, updating its citizens on the progress of the invasion. When I had to start thinking about the assignment for my course, I decided to see what I could do with the radio play idea, and since I've got this podcast channel already, I have a place to post it.

Admittedly, I was a little pressed for time in putting the radio play together, so the editing isn't quite as tight as I'd like it in places, and a couple of the music beds could use some fading here and there, and a little more production for theatre of the mind effect would help. But, all things considered, I think it's a reasonably good production.

If you enjoy the show, be sure to leave a comment below this post, send an email, or get in touch via social media and let me know. Maybe I'll look into producing a full series from start to finish if enough people are interested.

Finally, a huge thank-you to my friends who helped with the voice acting:

Mark Karjaluoto as Kram the reporter.

Maya Gal as Political Pundit #1.

Chris Shunamon as Political Pundit #2.

Kienan Burrage as Political Pundit #3.


To listen to Invaders From Planet 3, or to subscribe, visit Libsyn, iTunes, or your other favourite podcatching service. Be sure to rate and review us while you're there!


Let the Invasion begin!

No comments: